Impressionist Photo Techniques
A few ways to make your photos look soft, dreamy, and painterly…
- Intentional camera movement –This works great with landscapes with strong lines. Start on shutter priority with a long shutter speed and pan in the same direction as the strong lines.
- Zooming – Instead of panning, zoom your lens in or out during the exposure.
- Selective Focus – By using a very wide aperture, only a small portion of the frame will be in focus, the rest will be soft.
- Long Exposure – Set to shutter priority with a long shutter speed and find a subject that is in motion.
- Focus Through – This works great with flowers. Using a telephoto lens with a semi-transparent object and place it in front of your subject that is in focus.